Thursday, May 27, 2010

Bonjour!

A few people have asked me to start a blog to chronicle my time in Africa, so as a way to procrastinate learning French...here ya go!

For those of you who don't know, I submitted my application to the Peace Corps in September, 2009. After over 7 months of additional paperwork, medical exams, and waiting, I received an invitation at the beginning of May to serve in Burkina Faso (West Africa). I will be leaving on June 22, 2010 and I am scheduled to remain there until August, 2012.

The project I was assigned to is Girls Education and Empowerment. I will not be teaching, but instead I will be working with a number of people and organizations to encourage the education of girls in a particular community. I will spend the first several months in training with a number of other volunteers before moving to a village by myself.

I will most likely not have access to internet on a regular basis once I arrive, but until then I will try to keep this site updated with new information. Thanks for your interest in my 'adventure'!

3 comments:

  1. can't wait to read all about it! Love you Embaba!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also leaving June 22nd for Ougadougou! My service is not in GEE - but rather in Community Health Development. I've been searching blogger for another volunteer who is leaving the same time as me...and you're the first to come up!

    :]

    So, I suppose I'll see you in a couple of weeks! And I'm the same way with French...took four semesters in college - but am very intimidated by it.

    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete